Sunday, May 20, 2012

Reality Check...Life is Good!

I am telling you, what a beach day will do to my life!
Sometimes, you just need a little reminder that life is 100% what you make it. I have every option to let work take over my life, or I have the option to not let that happen. I work at a tough property. My residents are tough, they are mean, and they yell at me a lot. The property is a mess; we are doing a ton of construction and we never get a slow day to catch our breath. There are never-ending piles of paperwork we have to get to, stacks of things that need to be filed, to-do lists that go on for PAGES that we are supposed to be taking care of. It is hard. Work, right now, is very hard.

But my residents don’t come home with me at the end of the day. At 6:00pm, my world is mine, so why am I letting work cross into that? There is nothing I can do with those forms or piles or to-do lists from my house, so why stress about them at home? It doesn’t make sense.

And sometimes I need a beach day to remember that the property will survive without me for a minute. My boss knew I was at the coast on Friday and did not call, text or email me. And guess what, when I got to work this morning, the building was not on fire and was still standing right where I left it Thursday night.

The struggle lately has been that we are so busy it is hard for me to take any extra time off. But I am maxed out on vacation time and HAVE to take some time off. I am not willing to keep working and not be accruing time off, that’s not fair to me as an employee. I have been asking, and it keeps getting put on the back burner, and earlier this week I finally had had enough and had a mini tantrum, and my boss has been much more accommodating about making sure we all get the “mental health days” that we need…herself included, because she needs them too.

1 comment:

  1. And ducks. In the pool. Don't forget that.

    ReplyDelete