Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

I am considering moving out of my condo and into a one bedroom on site at my work. I know, I know, I have said this before, but here I am again. I have until March 1st to decide, so I have been weighing the pros and cons of both locations this week...

At Monterey Terrace, I like my apartment - or I would like it if everything worked properly. I don't like the building or my neighbors, I don't like my commute, I don't have a garage door opener, my bathroom doesn't have a fan, I have very, very little hot water, and my dishwasher has a permanent foul odor that is so bad I won't use it. When I do laundry or shower, my entire 600 square foot apartment gets so hot and steamy, and the windows fog over because the exhaust system sucks. Juno hates the wood floor, my bedroom windows are so shitty they let freezing cold air in and collect mold up the sides. My HOA hates me and leaves me rude notes, and the hallways reek like rotten carpet and dead bodies. But I like the little space, I like the cabinets, the hardware, the controlled access building and the garage parking. I love that its less than 2 miles from Mark's apartment, the same distance from my parents, and close to friends & family in general.

At Van Mall, I like the apartment a lot better. Its bigger - 750 square feet - and has upgraded paint, windows, vaulted ceilings, and a fireplace. It has new carpet, a dining room, lots of storage, and a big walk in closet. The patio is bigger and I like that there's nobody living above me. I would still have assigned parking, but not a garage.  I would cut 10 hours of drive time and about $200/month in gas out of my budget. I would be able to have lunch at home and start laundry or dinner while still at work. I would have an on site maintenance tech and leasing agent to feed Juno on the weekends if I was gone. But I would be in Vancouver, 20 minutes from mom & dad, 20 minutes from Mark, etc.

I am leaning towards making the move this time. It is month to month, so worst case scenario, I move again in a few months. I get a big rent discount for living here, and the convenience of not driving 45 minutes to work and an hour or more home would give me a lot of extra time for working out, hanging out with people, sleeping, cleaning, etc...all the things I can't seem to get done when I am not getting home from work until 7pm.

If I choose to move, it'll be happening the 1st of April, so anyone I have helped move lately (LAURA AND TANNER), be prepared to help out for a day! My current resident will be out of this unit on the 31st, so it'd be ready for me on the 5th. I'd just have to hope my uncle would let me pro-rate the 5 days of April, or I guess I will live in the model at work for 5 days, lol.

4 comments:

  1. You should move. Your little apartment is super cute. And close to Mark's. But everything else seems like a pro to move. Life is too short to be spending it in a car. You will be able to get in a little extra working out AND have time to see Mark. And the fact that it's month to month (while annoying if you decide you hate it and have to move again) is really a win win.

    (And....you need to post this. Laura never reads them unless they are on Facebook. True fact.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me sold when you said fireplace haha! Being far away from Mark sucks though :( What's the commute to out here? I MISS YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. follow happiness

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't you just get your car registered in OR? LOL

    ReplyDelete