I think anyone who knows my mom, knows that she is a kid fanatic. She connect with kids - family, friends, or strangers in the grocery store, she just loves and is so great with babies and little ones. So it came as no surprise to me when my mom told me that she had really struggled in losing Rylie when Kalib and I broke up. I realize that Rylie is not my mother's granddaughter, but they were great friends for the 2 years I was dating Kalib.
When she was learning to write, Rylie would send my mom letters for practice, and my mom always wrote her back. When she was learning to do anything, really, she was getting support from my mom more than from anyone else. Rylie may have been taken care of physically by her grandma (Kalib's mom), but she was not taken care of - in my opinion - emotionally and I don't believe she was supported or encouraged enough, especially when she was in kindergarten and everything was so crucial. My mom was always there to offer Rylie a high five, a supportive hug, a smile and an "I'm so proud of you" when so many other adults in her life were not. I was just as guilty of not having enough time for homework as Kalib (though he was her dad, not me), and it was nice that my mom was always asking Rylie about school and homework, not just about recess.
Anyways, so I showed my mom a recent picture of Rylie the other night (I got it from Sabrena, Rylie's mom), and my mom started to tear up at the table. I explained to my mom that I have no issue with her contacting Rylie through Sabrena if it was ok with Sabrena - I don't want to spend time with Rylie because I don't need anything giving Kalib any reason or excuse to slither back into my life, but my mom can be her buddy, that is not an issue for me. I explained the whole scenario to Bre, who told me that Rylie still talks about my mom ALL the time - and not in a way that she misses her and me and is sad, but that Annette is her friend and she sure would like to tell her about school and whatnot. Sabrena was fine to have my mom message her, and they've been chatting via Facebook as my mom enjoys sharing photos of Rylie back and forth with her.
Maybe its weird, maybe its unconventional, but I think if it makes my mom happy and makes Rylie happy, then sure, be friends. Like I said, so long as I am able to be done with Kalib and not have to deal with it, I am just happy my mom and Rylie can stop missing each other. I spent 2 years with the kid, and I loved her to pieces, and if I thought I could see her without Kalib making it a big thing, I might.
So as you are seeing photos of Rylie on my mom's page, NO, I am not seeing Kalib (Karen), LOL.
lol. Small panic. Your mom is the best.
ReplyDeleteLOL, trust me...you do NOT have to have small panic.
Delete