I have been incredibly happy about every new baby in
this family. I love babies. While my own biological clock seems to have a dead
battery, I am in love with the new life in this family. Being the Auntie is
amazing, and getting to spend so much time with these little ones brings me a
lot of joy. I miss them when they’re far away, I love to snuggle, play and
watch them learn new things. Pictures of other people’s children scatter my
bulletin board and screen saver at work. There is just no end to the love I
have for the next generation of my family.
That being said, I feel such a special bond to Baby
Landon, who I haven’t even met yet. LaDonna had a very high risk pregnancy,
which followed a very dangerous delivery with her first baby, as well as
several miscarriages and fertility treatments along the way. Needless to say, I
have spent 10 months…no, 2 years…worrying about my cousin and her unborn baby.
Last June, LaDonna and I were in the car at the
beach, stuck in crazy traffic. Listening to her tell me about a cyst they
found, a test she’d had, the sex they weren’t allowed to have for X duration of
time, on and on and on about how it was proving impossible for her and her
husband, a man who loves her so much, to conceive – or hang on to – a baby. My
heart simply melted. I remember the exact moment when I looked over at her and
thought, “all you have to do is ask honey, and I will have this baby for you.” My
life would have flipped upside down. I was with Kalib at the time, there was
Rylie to consider, and I was working my ass off in a new position at work. But it
would have been a no brainer. I just had this heart wrenching moment where I
would have moved my ass to Alabama that very day to get pregnant and fat and make
a baby for my baby cousin.
All of that said, I am over the moon thrilled that
she was able to make Landon without my uterus…
LaDonna is one of those people who is born to be a
mama to a whole gaggle of lucky children. She is warm, loving, disciplined,
patient, and just a natural mother. After a conversation between her and her
mom at the very start of her pregnancy that didn’t sit well with her, LaDonna
and I agreed that she could tell me everything the doctor said and I would not
worry her. So she did. I heard about every scary little thing, every test,
every abnormality. I was her sounding board and her support - I let her voice
her concerns and then told her she was going to be fine and that her baby would
be just fine. Of course, the moment we hung up, I would panic for her. What do
you mean they can’t hear the baby? What do you mean you fainted? Why are you on
bed rest? Just complete worry.
Landon Vincent Page was born May 9, 2012 with all of
the right parts, weighing enough, big enough, breathing and looking perfect. I
am a sap, but I have never cried at the birth of a baby. I cried my eyes out
when LaDonna called me to tell me he was here. It was this overwhelming sense
of calm and relief, followed by complete joy. He was here. He was safe in her
arms, she was awake and happy, and they were fine.
A couple of years back, at Stacey’s bridal shower,
Kitty referred to Stace as the older sister she never had. I feel the same way
with LaDonna, especially in the last couple years with her being away from
home; I feel like she is the baby sister that I wanted when my little brother came
along. I love that she calls me, I love that she trusts me and talks to me, and
I love the way she supports me and lets me support her. I love watching her
family grow and change and adapt. I love her husband, and the way she talks
about him. I admire her parenting style and am so proud of the little person
Madelyn is growing into because of how great her mother is.
LaDonna, I have said it a hundred times in a million
ways over this past year, and especially in this last week, but I am so proud
of the person, the wife, and the mother that you are. I love you, and I am so
happy for our relationship. Take care of that little miracle.



That made me cry. Beautiful. You are so lucky to have each other.
ReplyDeleteI KNEW this would make 2 people cry: LaDonna and Karen. LOL. I look at my relationships with so many of my cousins and feel incredibly lucky for all of them. So many people have such shitty family bonds and relationships, and I know that even though my family is their own breed of crazy, they are all one big loving happy bunch. I wouldn't have it any other way.
ReplyDeleteHoly crap, it made me cry too!
ReplyDeleteI love you, Thank you
ReplyDeleteI love you too.
Delete